The Truth About Cats and Dogs in Black and White

Truth is just one person's reality. Here is mine in black and white (maybe some shades of gray). This blog has little to do with Cats or Dogs - just humourous sarcastic antics about my life or occasionally, someone else's. You know, intercepting volleyballs with my face, egg dropping, etc. The truth has seen some changes and in fluidity with change expect to see more artistic expressions posting up - so give your two cents worth!

Friday, April 14, 2006

Define Yourself

So let me ask you a question...What do you do? You must have been asked this question before... at a family gathering, a class reunion, a seedy nightclub, in line at the grocery store, in your favourite IM space. And what was your answer? Honestly?

A recent post "Quote" by the newly self-proclaimed Dancing Queen prompted me to post on something that I believe deeply and passionately. While the quote has a very obvious and good-willed moral I'm going to reflect on those first five words..."you are not your job." Now I know Laurie well, well fairly well and we have been going through our "jobs are getting us down" phase, which, I expect may have prompted the optimistic-flavoured quote post.

I studied Recreation back in the day, which included leisure studies. Now, stop laughing, and start taking me seriously again. We often got flack for the nature of our profession by people who can't take leisure seriously and why should they - its leisure, recreation. So what does this have to do with the question at hand, What do you do? Simple, most people tend to identify with their job, primarily or career, secondly. For example, primary response "I am a Heritage Interpreter" or secondary response "I work in the social sciences." But why not answer with what really defines us - the actions we have the "freedom to" choose that gives us the "freedom from" our other worldly obligations. For example, "Hmmm...what do I do...well I love spending a lot of time outdoors." or "I often love to bbq and listen to great music on the deck."

It is actually quite difficult to define who we are by something other than our work environments. I suppose if your job were professional surfer it may be different. But there is so much more to us then what we get paid to do between 9 and 5 (generalising), what really makes us tick. If you can't figure out the answer then you have lost yourself in the rungs of the capitalist ladder, suffered the truest case of identity theft, sold the essence of you to the highest bidder. So here is my challenge job-centric blog goers - what do you do?

Comments...

What do I do eh? My usual response is of course the job related one. With deeper reflection I've decided that I learn. I love to learn about anything and everything that I can. Quench my insatiable thirst for knowledge...that's what I do.