The Truth About Cats and Dogs in Black and White

Truth is just one person's reality. Here is mine in black and white (maybe some shades of gray). This blog has little to do with Cats or Dogs - just humourous sarcastic antics about my life or occasionally, someone else's. You know, intercepting volleyballs with my face, egg dropping, etc. The truth has seen some changes and in fluidity with change expect to see more artistic expressions posting up - so give your two cents worth!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Slap on the wrist

I do indeed deserve a slap on the wrist and perhaps a good-natured kick in the ass. Obviously the novelty of this easy peasy lemon sqeezy blog thing has dissipated. I hereby resolve to improve my posting in frequency and content and to actually follow through on this photo/illustration Friday bit. That said, this will not likely happen for two weeks. I must turn my complete thesis into my committee on June 23rd which begs the question, what the hell am I doing sitting in front of blogger and not a dreadfully long document full of BS. Obviously, I prefer informal clever, witty, and often dry banter to social scientific mumbo-jumbo and statistical reporting. So I suppose an update is order.

First, I am alive and after my first week back on the block, I have not had one sore muscle, just a little muscle fatigue. Way to go Mr. Pratt. But now I feel it necessary to complain that my gym finds it necessary to close at 9pm on weekends - which - I do not like but can appreciate the pressure and competition from the newbie big box fitness operations in the city.

Second, As I said two weeks to go on the thesis front. Four chapters are edited and ready to submit leaving me with one and a half to go over the next 2 weeks - do-able. And I have at least two external examiners arranged, which technically I am not really supposed to be involved with but as things tend to only get done when i get involved, I submitted a list of my favourites with full contact information. And the two that I have...big wigs - destined to be highly critical of my work and both referrenced in my work. Can you say "jitters?"

Third, I am now a Newfoundlander on EI. A well deserving one. I paid my dues. I applied late as I thought I would not qualify while I am a student but argued the case that I have been working full-time while doing my research and looking, desperately I might add, for a job. And by the way, the wasn't a jab at fisherman, well not really. Many make a fortune during their seasonal employment and own millions in assets. I work as a heritage presenter and have been lucky to make it this far on my earnings. Oh yes, and I have ZERO assets, unless you count good hair. Don't get on my case about this one, I am the last person to throw everyone in the same pot. And I certainly sympathise with a dying fishery, this I do know something about.

Fourth, While EI is certainly not a sustainable form of income for me, I am moving out of my folks basement. If you did not know, I have been living there off and on through my Masters program. I have spent most of my time living in a National Park so there was really no good reason for me to secure my own place in the city. Well it was a sacrifice to maintain my financial sanity, and now that the thesis WILL be complete in two weeks, so has my semi-free ride. This will of course mean substantial fiscal restraint and stellar money management. The plan, really, is that with three degrees now, a job must be lurking around the corner.

Stay tuned for more madness.
Comments...

So you're not dead. You had me worried there for awhile. Looks like the next 2 weeks will be busy but think of life after that. Thesis out of the way (mostly), no more basement. All good. And of course Laurie day is in 3 weeks so its all good. It is a national holiday you know. July 1st....you have a long weekend due to me.