The Truth About Cats and Dogs in Black and White

Truth is just one person's reality. Here is mine in black and white (maybe some shades of gray). This blog has little to do with Cats or Dogs - just humourous sarcastic antics about my life or occasionally, someone else's. You know, intercepting volleyballs with my face, egg dropping, etc. The truth has seen some changes and in fluidity with change expect to see more artistic expressions posting up - so give your two cents worth!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Vlad does not = Dracula


Dracula's Homepage

This actually Dr. Elizabeth Miller's page. I good source for all things Dracula. Fascinating reading. I strongly aver that the actual historical events from the 15th and 16th century in Eastern Europe are far more interesting and horrifying than anything published by Bram Stoker. Particularly the life of Vlad Tepes (a.k.a. Vlad the III, a.k.a. Vlad the Impaler). There are some great documents to be found at this site. I wouldn't read them before bedtime!

Elizabeth Miller is recognized internationally for her expertise on Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula – its origins in folklore, literature and history, as well as its influence on twentieth-century culture. She has lectured on the subject throughout Canada (including presentations for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Stratford Festival and CBC-TV’s “Opening Night”), as well as in the United States, England, Ireland, Germany, Poland and Romania.

Comments...

Nice link. Like most people I had always believed Dracula to be based on Vlad the Impaler.

Its a little disappointing that he's not, but Vlad actually sounds worse!

Don't worry about the anonymity thing, I sort of knew that I wasn't really anonymous. I don't actually like putting my foot in it, it just seems to happen!