The Truth About Cats and Dogs in Black and White

Truth is just one person's reality. Here is mine in black and white (maybe some shades of gray). This blog has little to do with Cats or Dogs - just humourous sarcastic antics about my life or occasionally, someone else's. You know, intercepting volleyballs with my face, egg dropping, etc. The truth has seen some changes and in fluidity with change expect to see more artistic expressions posting up - so give your two cents worth!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Brits are Blog-ERRIFIC!


It seems an exorbitant amount of my visitors call the Great Isles Home. So I figured they deserved a little toast. You see, I am a 9th generation Newfoundlander and born a Canadian. My parents however witnessed confederation and I suppose were technically born Brits, as Newfoundland was at one time claimed for England (and France at a point, but that is a history lesson which I shall not give). My ancestors, like most, immigrated from Britain in the early 1700's from the areas of Buckinghamshire and Cambridge. Rumour has it my father's photography hangs in the City Hall at Poole and my mother kept a scrapbook of news clippings and royal paraphernalia.

Yes Newfoundland, you may say, is Little Britain. Full of Irish Catholics, English Protestants and everyone in between. And of course they are devout tea drinkers...and well some just devout drinkers. I mean look at the traditional flag of the Republic of Newfoundland, looks a little familiar me thinks (Aside: they are trying to replace the current flag with the green, white, and pink...hmmm...I can't offhand think of any flags with pink in them).

But this is a toast to Brits. And why you ask should we toast Scots, Irishmen, and Brits? Well for several reasons.
  1. Home to Irish writer Marian Keyes, comedienne extraordinaire.
  2. Home to may absolute favourite singer/songwriter of the moment Damien Rice.
  3. Hugh Laurie...Loves him!
  4. Keeping on the topic of music we also have the Beatles, U2, Coldplay, Elton John, and the Darkness.
  5. Renowned for double-decker buses adorned in cadmium red, may they rest in peace.
  6. Home of Scotland Yard and those precious little hats.
  7. Maker of great cars - Austin Healey, Aston Martin, Mini Cooper (Aside: all popular surnames in Newfoundland).
  8. The have the sexiest little accents.
  9. Home to my favourite person on earth, Jude Law. Ok slightly exaggerated, but not much.
  10. They reared some of my favourite talents - the aforementioned Jude Law, the hilarious Hugh Grant, Ewan McGreggor, The fabulous muse for my Peary Caribou voice, Sean Connery, Sir Michael Caines, Orlando Bloom, and Ben Kingsley.
  11. I have not forgotten about leading women - Rachel Weisz, Dame Judi Dench (who filmed The Shipping News in Newfoundland), Kate Beckinsale, and the lovelly Keira Knightly.
  12. Should we talk sports? Hello. Britain gave the world David Beckham, I don't think we need to say anymore than that.
  13. Guiness, which we have adopted as the unofficial provincial pint (although I personally can not stomach dark ales ACK! I was once bought this dark india ale at the Blue Catfish or something... oh nevermind, tangent avoided).
  14. They gave us Cornation Street. Newfoundlanders discuss these poor characters as if they were their own flesh and blood.
  15. There is nothing as funny as British humour. I have already alluded to literature but then there is film: The Van, Fever Pitch, The Full Monty, Waking Ned Devine, Monty Python.
  16. And of course there is classic literature but I am not qualified to review such goings on. These should be obvious genius such as Shakespeare, Wilde, and Dickens.
  17. And naturally, classic film: Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai, Clockwork Orange (which I found apalling and disturbing, as was meant) and one of my old favourites - Born Free, except for the beginning where someone gets eaten by a Lion, From Russia With Love, Gandhi, and various interpretations of great literature (see # 16).

And that is why I love the Great Isles. To Blog-errific Brits! Here Here!

Comments...

mmm....jude law
mmm....hugh grant
mmm....ewan
mmm....hugh laurie
mmm...damien rice
mmm...david beckham

So much talent, so much history, so many blog fans. And you did forget someone very important....Wills!